Friday, June 26, 2026

Introductory Lectures on Neuropsychoanalysis/Psychotherapy Lecture One, Part 1, " How These Lectures Came to Be"

These Nine Introductory Lectures are written  for mental health professionals who wish to learn the theory and practice of neuropsychoanalysis/psychotherapy.

The  Lectures consist of four Lectures on  theory,  and five Lectures   on technique. The four theory Lectures deal with how the mind functions when the patient presents for treatment, as well as how the patient's mind developed in childhood. The five technique Lectures explore how to apply this theory to the practice of neuropsychoanalytic psychotherapy (from here out when I speak of theory I will use the term neuropsychoanalysis. When I speak of practice I will say neuropsychoanalytic psychotherapy. I make this distinction because I am a Modern Freudian psychoanalytic psychotherapist, and a Clinical Fellow of the International Neuropsychoanalysis Society).

These Lectures are the culmination of my over thirty years of experience in conducting psychoanalytic psychotherapy,  and supervising LPC Interns and Residents in this form of treatment. I began in pastoral psychoanalytic psychotherapy ( which was at the time influenced both by Ego Psychology and the Interpersonalists). I next  moved to Modern Freudian analytic therapy. Modern Freudians integrate Object Relations, Self Psychology and Relational Analysis into their Freudian theory and technique. From there I also began to integrate evolutionary biology into my orientation. Finally, all of my biological integration culminated in my discovery of neuropsychoanalysis.

I have  always sought to integrate new theory and practice into my work (especially biology). Sigmund Freud attempted to do the same, but in his time biology was not a mature enough science for him to do so successfully. Today, thanks to the maturing of the biological sciences and especially the new methods of research in the neurosciences, we are able to begin to fulfill Freud's dream of bringing neuroscience and psychoanalysis together. This is the aim of the interdisciplinary field of neuropsychoanalysis and the goal of these lectures as well.

In these Lectures you will note that I often cite the work of Mark Solms, the South African psychoanalyst and neuroscientist who created neuropsychoanalysis. I have sought here to integrate what I have learned from Solms into my own Modern Freudian psychoanalytic orientation.

After reading several of my Blog Posts on neuropsychoanalysis, Mark Solms asked me in February of 2023,  if I would be interested in writing an introductory text on neuropsychoanalysis. I replied that I did not wish to write a book at this point, but I would like to increase the readership of my Blog Lectures. Solms thought this was a good idea. So I set out to promote my Blog Lectures on various social media platforms. 

Michael Benn, also a South African psychoanalyst, read some of my posts on the Facebook Page where he is the administrator --"Psychoanalysis and Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy". After his reading and the positive feedback of other members of the Page, he asked me in February of 2024 to publish my Lectures  to his Facebook page. I accepted his invitation, and beginning in January 2024 I posted these Lectures on his Page for twenty one consecutive Thursdays.

 These Nine Introductory Lectures on Neuropsychoanalysis/Psychotherapy are the result of these earlier Blog Postings. I want to thank Michael Benn for asking me to post on his Facebook page.

I further want to thank Mark Solms for his clear and precise presentation of neuropsychoanalysis that I discovered in his three lectures during the Covid Pandemic (2020) lockdown entitled," A Practical Introduction to Psychoanalysis." Those lectures inspired me to learn more about neuropsychoanalysis. From those lectures I went on to listen to a number of Solms' online lectures, read his books, and his major papers. I further consulted with him for four years. I dedicate these Introductory Lectures on Neuropsychoanalysis to Mark Solms as my way of thanking him for his knowledge, inspiration, and encouragement that resulted in my creating these Lectures. 

2 Comments:

At December 24, 2024 at 7:28 AM , Anonymous John Brantley said...

Glad you are posting these. They are great read for anyone who wants to learn more about how evolution has impacted the human brain. Nice work.

 
At December 24, 2024 at 12:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks John Brantley for this comment! To ignore all neuroscience has learned about mind by studying the brain, would be a tragic for psychoanalysis, therapy, and their varied applications in coaching, leading, etc.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home